Sunday, January 6, 2013

Places in Jane Shaw: Weggis (Rosendorf)

The picture shows a view of the Lake of Lucerne from the Swiss village of Weggis. In Susan Interferes, the Carmichaels and Susan stay in the village of Rosendorf, a thinly disguised Weggis. In Susan and Friends, Beverley Garmston explains that Weggis is situated right where Rosendorf is located. The famous Weggis Rose Festival began in 1926 and this may have inspired Jane Shaw to call her ficitonal town "Rose Village", the translation of Rosendorf. Furthermore, Uncle Charles tells the children that there is a monument to Mark Twain in the village. There is indeed such a monument in Weggis, which you can see below. The famous writer described Weggis as "the most charming place for repose and restfulness". For further information, see Susan and Friends, Chapter XXI, Adventures in the Alps. 

2 comments:

  1. I came upon your blog by chance as I was googling something about old frontispieces - read your first post and I'm charmed! Never heard of this author, but I loved the work of Enid Blyton (whom I discovered in the 60's and devoured!), which seems a little similar. Can't find a way to get your posts emailed to me on here, so marking this in my bookmarks to come back to! Love reading about these old books, and going back to favorite childhood stories... plus as you say, the art is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read five of the Susan books aound 1960, more or less at the time they were written.
    Susan Interferes is still my favourite, I reread it recently .
    I long to revisit Lucerne, especially for that chairlift hairy ride , still up and running as described, according to Google search.

    ReplyDelete